Congress has Failed Us!
Take Action to Protect Immigrants & Refugees Now!
The White House created a crisis for hundreds of thousands of younger immigrants who came to the United States as children when it rescinded the DACA program last September. Since then, Congressional leaders of both parties have so far failed to agree to a solution that would permanently protect these immigrants. Here in Illinois, immigrant leaders continue to advocate for the DREAM Act or similar federal legislation to offer DACA grantees a path to permanent status and citizenship. But in the face of continued federal gridlock, we are also turning to opportunities on the state and local level. We are also redoubling our efforts to register and mobilize new voters to amplify immigrant voices in the upcoming 2018 elections.
Join the Fight!
Here are some actions you can take to protect Immigrants and Refugees in Illinois, and to continue to make Illinois the most welcoming state in the country!
- Call Illinois Senators Dick Durbin: 202.224.2152 and Tammy Duckworth: 202.224.2854 and leave the following message: "I am an Illinois resident. I am calling on our Senator to reject any anti-immigrant proposal disguised as a fix to DACA. Vote no on any bill that follows the White House's anti-immigrant and racist framework."
- Find your FEDERAL Representative by clicking this link. Look for their DC office number on their website. Call them with the following message: "I am a constituent in Representative ___'s district, I am calling on my representative to reject any anti-immigrant proposal disguised as a fix to DACA. Vote no on any bill that follows the White House's anti-immigrant and racist framework."
- Find you STATE Representative and Senator by clicking this link. Enter your address and click "find address". Then click "confirm your address" Your state Senator is listed in the first box titled "Senate District # _". Your state Representative is listed in the second box titled "Representative District # __". Call both at either the local or Springfield office number with the following message: "I am a constituent of [Senator ___ / Representative ___]. I am calling to ask that they support ICIRR's upcoming platform of legislation to protect immigrants and refugees in Illinois.
- If eligible, click here to register to vote in Illinois! ONLY REGISTER IF YOU ARE ELIGIBLE. You are eligible to vote in Illinois if you are a US citizen, you are at least 18 years of age by Election Day; 17 years of age to vote in a General Primary, and are a resident in your area at least 30 days prior to Election Day.
- Come to ICIRR's 2018 ICIRR Summit: "Building A Stronger Illinois" to help advance these efforts on February 17th at Malcom X College 1900 W Jackson Blvd, Chicago, Illinois 60612. Click here to register today!
- Join us in Springfield on February 28th for ICIRR's Advocacy Day! Click here to save your seat on the bus!
- Participate in the ICIRR youth summit on March 10th! For more information email Luisa by clicking here!
Many communities, including Chicago, Evanston, Urbana, and Cook County, have passed welcoming policies to help protect immigrant families. For more information on welcoming policies, click here.
The Cook County Carelink program provides primary and preventative services including some specialty care within the Cook County Health Hospitals System (CCHHS). These services are available to anyone in the county that is uninsured and low income regardless of their immigration status. Services include annual exams, dental services among other services. Patients receive a card and are assigned to a clinic closest to their home. Click here to find out more information about Carelink and find out how to enroll!
Your gift to ICIRR will empower the lives of over 1.8 million immigrants across Illinois, will help advance the efforts listed above, and more! Click here to make a tax-deductible donation now!