About This Program
Am I eligible to become a United States Citizen?
You are eligible for U.S. Citizenship if you have:
- Green Card for 4 years 9 months, & Basic English, or
- Green Card for 2 years 9 months, Basic English, and married to a U.S. citizen
English is NOT needed for U.S. citizenship if:
- You have a disability, or
- 50 years old with green card for 20 years, or
- 55 years old with green card for 15 years
Who should NOT apply to become a citizen?
Some examples of those who should not apply for citizenship are: Individuals that have failed to pay their taxes or child support, committed a felony, registered to vote, have been out of the U.S. for more than 6 months. You should consult an attorney or accredited community organization if you have committed any of the crimes listed above before you apply for citizenship. See ICIRR's attorney referral list here.
You can also download our "Stop Sign" sheet, which explains who should not apply for citizenship, here.